After some time working on our various products as a software engineer, I pivoted to platform engineering, helping build the tooling and infrastructure needed by our engineers for running our products, including:
- Provisioning/maintaining a large set of production Kubernetes clusters & supporting networking (within AWS)
- Providing easy self-serve infrastructure as code (Terraform) tooling for developers to consume
- Keeping infrastructure secure by default while enabling it to be built upon
- Training and supporting developers in ongoing use of the infrastructure platform
- Generally abstracting away complexities to reduce the cognitive load for developers’ interactions with infrastructure
- As tech lead, planning all the above in coordination with the development teams to ensure a balance between flexibility and consistency in our platform & tooling while reducing disruptions
Worked on multiple kidtech products, including an ad server for safely engaging with children and a children’s gaming and art social platform. Spent most of the time as tech lead for Kids Web Services, a platform of tools and APIs with the purpose of allowing third parties to build applications that are kid-safe by default according to regulations as well as best practices. During this time, worked across the stack as an engineer on highly scalable APIs written primarily in NodeJS and backed by PostgreSQL, running on Kubernetes, as well as Angular/AngularJS frontends and various SDKs. As tech lead, was responsible for designing the architecutre for such systems, planning implementation, coordinating and mentoring other engineers.
Principal engineer building a website-creation tool for users with minimal technical knowledge, which eventually went on sale in physical boxes in high street stores across the UK. Set up and maintained the architecture, wrote the server-side (PHP) and client-side (HTML5/AngularJS) parts of the system and eventually handled hiring and leading of a small team working on later versions of the product.
Worked as a developer on projects for various clients at a web design agency. Most of my focus was on back-end development for bespoke solutions like progress trackers, quotation portals, simple billing systems, etc